💳 List of Ethiopia visa types
🏢 List of Ethiopia embassies
🦠 Ethiopia COVID-19 travel requirements
Last updated: 4 October 2021, 10:58 (GMT +4)
Travel to Ethiopia
If you are travelling to Ethiopia, you are required to take a COVID-19 PCR test before departure.
Effective immediately and until further notice, Ethiopian Immigration has temporarily suspended the provision of visa on arrival for all passengers. Passengers with pre-issued e-visa will not be accepted for entry into Ethiopia. This restriction is not applicable to transfer passengers.
- Passengers with sticker visas
- E-visas with a confirmation page showing the passenger details along with a photo of the passenger will be accepted
- Visa on arrival will only be granted to passengers who were born in Ethiopia, whose passport states Ethiopia as their place of birth
- Children of Ethiopian nationals or Residence Card holders who are travelling with their parents, who will be allowed to enter the country with a visa on arrival eligibility or if they have a pre-issued sticker or e visa
- Passengers with Africa Union IDs or Diplomatic IDs issued by the Ethiopian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, given the ID is valid
- Passengers with Ethiopian Origin ID
COVID-19 testing requirements
All passengers travelling to Ethiopia must present a printed copy or soft copy of a negative COVID-19 PCR test result certificate for a test conducted not more than 5 days before arrival. The certificate must clearly mention that an RT PCR test was conducted, the time and date when the sample was taken and have an official stamp of the authorities issuing the certificate. Rapid Diagnostic Test (RDT antibody test) results will not be accepted. Children under 10 years are exempted as long as they are travelling with their parents and their parents have a negative COVID-19 PCR test certificate.
While it is advised, diplomatic passport holders, including United Nations and African Union personnel and their immediate families, may travel from Dubai to Ethiopia without a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test certificate.
Travel from Ethiopia
COVID-19 testing requirements
If you are travelling from Ethiopia, you may be required to take a COVID-19 PCR test and submit additional documentation before departure. Please check the requirements of your specific destination before travel.
Passengers travelling to the UAE as their final destination must:
- Have a negative COVID-19 PCR certificate with a QR code for a test taken in Ethiopia within 48 hours before departure.
- Report to Addis Ababa Bole International Airport 7 hours before departure and have a Rapid PCR test conducted within 6 hours of departure. Passengers reporting to the airport after 10:30 local time in Ethiopia will not be accepted for the flight.
- The cost of conducting the RT-PCR test at Addis Ababa Bole International Airport is ETB 1,500
Passengers will not be allowed to exit the airport after entry, and therefore must ensure they have cash payment ready for the Rapid PCR test. It is advisable for passengers to bring their own refreshments especially if traveling with children as the airport might not have such facilities.
Travelling to, from and through Dubai
If you re travelling to, from or transiting through Dubai, please check our Travel requirements for Dubai.